DESCRIBING PEOPLE'S CHARACTER AND PERSONALITY
Be ready to answer the following questions on the topic. Use some of the answers in composing your own topic.
- What kind of people do you like? Describe their characters. Do you like people who are calm, friendly, funny, interesting, kind? Or do you prefer to mix with people who are loud, outgoing, centre of attention, active and adventurous?
- What kind of people do you dislike? Have you met people who are aggressive, always ready to argue and fight, or moody, often get annoyed even when there is no reason to feel like this?
Have you met someone who is snobbish and conceited, too proud of his achievements? How did you behave with such реорle?
- Describe a favourite member of your family. What are his best characteristics that you admire?
- What qualities do you most appreciate about your friend? Is he cheerful, energetic, helpful, loyal and generous? Has he got a sense of humour?
- Who was the most sociable and popular person in your class? Who
was always saying clever and amusing things?
- What teacher did you respect most of all? What qualities did you admire in him or her?
- Who of your friends or relatives can always cheer you up if you are depressed? How does he/she do it?
- What eccentric people do you know? What things have they done which make them seem eccentric to you?
- Does any of your friends or of your family have any strange or special habits? Tell us about them.
- Try to think of one of your classmates who are hard-working, dedicating a lot of time and energy to studies.
- Tell a partner whether your friend is reliable, can be trusted and will never let you down. Give examples of his behaviour.
- Think of the people you have met with characteristics opposite to "kind, optimistic, patient, modest". Give examples of their behaviour.
- Were you a naughty child? Were your parents strict to you?
- Do you believe that the "signs of zodiac" have an effect on people's character? What sign were you born under? What are characteristics of this sign?
- Do you know people with the sign of "Taurus" born between 20 April and 20 May? Are they calm and patient, sometimes materialistic?
• Are "Scorpions" born between 23 October and 21 November passionate, but sometimes cruel?
• What about "Gemini" born between 21 May and 20 June? Have you noticed that they are very witty but tend to be a little impatient?
• Are "Capricons" born between 22 December and 19 January, sensible, organised but sometimes conceited?
• Have you ever noticed that "Cancers" (22nd June — 22nd July) seem strong and selfish,
but really they are soft and sensitive.
• Do people like "Libras" (23rd September — 23rd October) because they always say nice things? They hate fighting and want everyone to be happy but it is difficult for them to make decisions.
- What famous person impressed you with his personality? Describe his character.
- If a person finds it difficult to be alone, always wants to be the centre of attention, he is extroverted. If he is shy, lacks self-confidence, spends much time worrying about things, he is introverted. What about you? To which category do you refer yourself?
Знаки зодиака - Star Signs
Defining the Characteristics of Star Signs
There are 12 signs in the zodiac, and each is represented by a person, animal or object. You can begin to understand your lover's personality and traits by examining his or her zodiac symbol.
Aries: March 21 - April 19
Aries is represented by the ram and is a fire sign. Aries was the Greek god of war and many of the mythological character's traits are reflected in this zodiac sign.
Strong-willed and exacting in work
High expectations of self and situations
Passionate and often impatient
Devoted and loyal to friends and family
Caring lovers with intense sexual appetites
Athletic, adventurous and bold
Taurus: April 20 - May 20
Taurus is represented by the bull and is an earth sign.
Strong with great stamina for physical and mental tasks
Can be stubborn and unwilling to give ground
Loves finer things in life. Materialistic.
Feelings buried deep
May appear selfish at times, but are generous with possessions and money
Gemini: May 21 - June 20
Gemini is represented by twins and is an air sign.
Versatile, adaptable and easily bored
Quick-silver mind and wit
Loves to chat and share knowledge
Communicator of the zodiac
Sociable and enjoys variety as well as change
Relies on mental analysis more than gut feelings
Cancer: June 21 - July 22
Cancer is represented by the crab and is a water sign. It's easy to see that most Cancerians have a deep love for home.
Family and friends are at the top of the list of most valuable possessions followed by home
Deep appreciation for family history and exploring family trees
Emotions are difficult to hide since Cancer lives by his gut feelings and instinct
Craves a stable home life in order to feel secure, safe and comfortable
Leo: July 23 - August 22
This sign is represented by the lion and is a fire sign. Leo is bold, courageous and daring.
Likes to be in the spotlight
Drama is one of his best tools for getting what he wants
Great judgment and makes a good actor
Very generous and loving
Good strong leaders
Knows self-worth and exerts will
Знаки зодиака - Zodiak Signs. Транскрипция, аудио произношение
Eastern (Chinese) calendar. Your Star and Your Animal
Eastern (Chinese) calendar. The elements and colors
Virgo: August 23 - September 22
Represented by the virgin and is an earth sign. This sign has high expectations of himself and especially others in his quest for perfection on earth.
Skilled and successful in career
Keeps emotions reined
Analytical and focused on task at hand
Tend to be overly-critical in desire to find perfection
Steady workers and attentive to details
Libra: September 23 - October 22
Libra is blind justice holding a set of scales. For Libra life is about learning to balance the demands from the outside with the desires and needs on the inside. Libra spends a lot of time wrestling to create harmony and balance between each aspect of himself. An air sign, Libra is more mental than physical.
Justice and equality are mainstays
Surrounds himself with beauty and art
Music feeds his soul
Sensuality is not confined to the bedroom
Good social skills
Voices opinions only when provoked or passionate about a cause
Scorpio: October 23 - November 21
This sign is represented by a scorpion and usually misunderstood because his words and actions can have the same kind of stinging effect. This water sign feels things very deeply.
Enjoys big and bold lifestyle
Entrepreneur with the ability to overcome massive obstacles
Assesses situations before jumping in
Enjoys a lively heated debate
Make passionate often possessive lovers
Sagittarius: November 22 - December 21
This sign is represented by the mythological creature, the Centaur, half-man, half-horse. It's no wonder that the Sagittarian has a soft spot for animals. As a fire sign, he has deep passion that only needs to be stoked to flame.
Philosopher and gatherer of information
Bright sharp intellect and enjoys mental challenges
High energy that keeps him constantly moving
Like a cat with nine lives, Sagittarius is constantly reinventing himself
Must be allowed to roam free and will always return home
Exciting, appreciative lover who enjoys pleasing his mate
Capricorn: December 22 - January 19
Capricorn is represented by a goat and is another earth sign that needs a happy home in order to feel complete.
Practical problem-solver and excellent organizer
Plans life and each stage to create a blueprint he can follow
Closed-mouth when it comes to sharing, so you'll need to prod him to open up
Makes a great companion and life-long friend
Aquarius: January 20 - February 18
Aquarius is represented by the water bearer, but is an air sign. This often confuses people until you get to know him and you quickly see the element of air in all he does.
Unorthodox, unconventional, often embraces a Bohemian lifestyle
Eclectic collection of friends
Humanitarian and will take up just causes
Very sociable, intelligent and quick to make friends
Enjoy art and a leisurely lifestyle
Pisces: February 19 - March 20
Pisces is symbolized by a fish. A water sign, Pisces has insight and knowledge that makes you realize he's an old soul.
Unassuming and deeply emotional
Selfless to a fault
Unlike Leo, Pisces is content to remain in the shadows
Illusion of naivety
Devoted lover and friend
Английский для поступающих в вузы
- Тест 1
- Тест 2
- Основные требования к владению грамматическим материалом по иностранному языку для поступающих в вузы
Bonpoсы для беседы на экзамене по английскому языку
Character and appearance
Appearances are deceptive. It is common truth; practically everyone has met at least someone whose character and appearance differ radically.
When one sees a tall, broad-shouldered youth, one expects him to be strong-willed and brave. One thinks: A model to follow! How often a good-looking individual turns out to be petty, weak-willed or even cowardly. Then one thinks: A mediocrity!
At the same time everyone knows that a lot of great people were of a poor build: short and fragile. It did not stop them from displaying intelligence and courage. Ingenuity does not depend on one’s complexion or constitution. Plump or fat people create an impression of generous and kind personalities. Strangely enough, but sometimes they may be thrifty or even greedy. One usually thinks: A scrooge!
On the other hand, thin or slim nervous ladies often tend to be lavish. They like to buy and never think twice when they pay. One thinks: I would call her open-handed and mother would call her a spendthrift. Yes, mothers are always stricter in judgments.
Has it ever happened to you to come to an important office and see an important boss? You immediately evaluate his looks: round-faced, small narrow eyes, dimples on the cheeks and an upturned nose. What a kind-hearted person! A simpleton! You tell the boss of your troubles and expect immediate help. But the boss appears to be rude, harsh and willful. You never get your help and think: A stone heart and an iron fist.
When someone sees a delicately built pretty blonde with curly hair, blue eyes, a straight nose and a high forehead, one is inclined to think that the beauty is intelligent and nice. It may be disappointing to think later: What a stupid, capricious, impolite bore!
On the contrary, when one sees a skinny brunette with ugly irregular features — a hooked nose, pointed chin, close-set eyes and thin lips, strange thoughts come into one’s head, because it is the image of evil people — cruel and cunning. It may be a relief some time later to find her a clever, gentle and good-mannered lady and think: What charm! A heart of gold!
Nature likes to play tricks on us, making life a brilliant kaleidoscope of characters and appearances.
Упражнения по переводу с русского на английский
Тексты с параллельным переводом
Обслуживание и ремонт авторефрижераторов;карбюратор mikuniкупить кассу в москве;регистрация юридических лиц в Санкт Петербурге
Циклевка паркета в Москве цены